Tulsi, also known as Holy Basil, is a remarkably delicious way to ease stress and boost your immune system this flu season.
Many of you are familiar with the health benefits of echinacea and goldenseal, especially their ability to strengthen the immune system and ward off the flu. But if you’ve ever drunk them in tea form, you know that taste is not really a selling point. Holy Basil, also known as Tulsi, is quite delicious, and offers an amazing number of health benefits we can all use.
- Contains adaptogens, which helps your body cope with stress
- Anti-inflammatory, which aids in digestion
- High levels of anti-oxidants and healthful phytochemicals
- Good for joints
- When taken near bedtime, it can help you fall asleep
- Promotes healthy gums
- Boosts the immune system
Tulsi has many other health benefits, and is considered the king of herbs in India, where it is from.
I’m enjoying Tulsi steeped in boiled water as a tea. It’s quite tasty on its own, but you can also pair it with fresh ginger for a Tulsi-ginger digestive tea. Or you can spice it similar to masala chai and serve it with milk and honey.
Typical masala chai spices for winter are fresh ginger root, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, fennel seed, clove and vanilla. Simmer these in fresh water with Holi Basil until the flavor of the spices has been extracted. Strain out the solids and serve with milk and raw, local honey.
I have never received a flu shot, and never will. This flu season has been different from most, in that a lot of young and healthy people have been hit hard by it.
Ways you can avoid the flu
Try turmeric to boost immunity.
Learn how to use herbs as medicine.
- Wash your hands often with soap and hot water, and train yourself out of the habit of touching your face with your hands
- Support your body by removing foods that tax your system, such as processed foods, sugar and excessive caffeine
- Get some daily exercise, which boosts the immune system and relieves stress
- Nourish your body with healthy foods and herbs
- Get some high quality vitamin D every day (from sun, if you can, or a quality supplement)
- And of course, get an adequate amount of quality sleep
Spring Home Makeover